Worldwide Shih-Tzu forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worldwide Shih-Tzu forum

Worldwide Shih-Tzu forum, where all breeders, handlers, groomers and shih-tzu lovers can meet and talk about this breed

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Few things about Lanolin and Oil

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Lemuro
Admin
Lemuro

Few things about Lanolin and Oil Empty
PostSubject: Few things about Lanolin and Oil   Few things about Lanolin and Oil I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 11:49 am

What is Lanolin?

Lanolin is a yellowish-white fatty substance obtained from the wool of sheep. Also called, "wool fat ". Lanolin is difficult to shampoo out of animal hair. You must use a clarifying shampoo.

Is Lanolin Good For Use on Animal Hair?

It is my opinion that lanolin has no place in animal grooming formulas. I feel that animal hair becomes more tangled with lanolin products. The fatty substance of lanolin strongly lingers behind on the hair shaft and with its heavy wool fat properties, stunts the hair’s growth and in some cases fades colors. I believe that the use of lanolin will cause the hair to become tacky thus attracting dirt and dust. Dirt and dust will cause hair breakage.

Lanolin formulas will effect the same negative results of putting a dog down in oil. Some groomers and handlers are users of oil for maintenance with the belief that it will keep the hair from tangling and give them more holding power between shows. It is a Russian Roulette with the dog’s coat. If the dog is in oil past 4 days, you have "crossed the curve" and the opposite happens to the coat. It begins to dry out, soften, fade color, can cause itching and tangling.

What Does, "Crossing the Curve" mean?

Lanolin or oil on the animal’s coat will start drying the hair after 4 days unless shampooed out. Those who put a dog in lanolin or oil should not cross that 4 day curve. Some will leave a dog in oil or lanolin 10 days or longer before shampooing. These coats most always never achieve perfection.

Can Oil Or Lanolin Be Used Effectively On The Coat For Maintenance If Shampooed Out In Four Days?

If a dog is in light oil and the oil is shampooed out in 4 days, the groomer will achieve the result he/she wants. One must remember the long term effects of using oil or lanolin.

If I decide To Stop Using Oil and/Or Lanolin For Maintenance, Are There Any Tips I Should Know?

Yes. A dog that has continuously been in and out of lanolin or oil should be watched closely when taken out of either of these products.

Caustic stripping solutions should not be used to remove oil or lanolin from a dogs coat.
Use a clarifying shampoo for animals. The hair and skin will be protected.
Shampoo once a week with careful watching and light-solution brushing until the coat is refreshed from the heavy fat of lanolin. Use a clarifying shampoo every other grooming.
Go through the coat with a very light (oil and lanolin free) moisturizing solution to hold the coat from tangling.
Eventually the hair will hold between shows and begin to grow again.

Can I Use A Formula With A Light Oil for Showing?

Yes, because you will be washing it out upon your return home from showing. The dog will either be showing on a mat or in the grass. I see no damage in this use of a formula with a light oil. Always remember, lanolin and oil are well known dirt and dust attractants. Shampooing as soon as possible to remove the oil or lanolin is a must. WHY? If you want to use a formula with a light oil, you need to be knowledgeable about its effect on the hair, both good and bad. Dedication Means Center Ring! SKD

this text is taken from www.vellus.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Back to top Go down
http://www.myshihtzu.info
Lemuro
Admin
Lemuro

PostSubject: Re: Few things about Lanolin and Oil   Few things about Lanolin and Oil I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 11:49 am

I have readed this article and afther this I using oils more carefully. Maybe someone still useing and have reached good results?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myshihtzu.info
YuriShihTzu

YuriShihTzu

PostSubject: Re: Few things about Lanolin and Oil   Few things about Lanolin and Oil I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 12:01 pm

What is Lanolin for? This is the first time I've heard it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trainpetdog.com/Shih-Tzu/about-shih-tzu.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Few things about Lanolin and Oil   Few things about Lanolin and Oil I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Few things about Lanolin and Oil
Page 1 of 1